Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I've got a thing for fennel

Yes, I'm in love with a vegetable. Fennel. Could be worse right? I'm not really sure why I've latched on to it all of a sudden, because I've certainly eaten it before, but now it's a staple on the grocery list. So good, and so versatile, as it sort of takes on whatever flavours you cook it with. Nice licorice undertones.


I do a lot of cooking on the weekend, in preparation for the work week ahead, and I'm finding fennel comes in handy for that. I usually buy 2 or 3 bulbs. To prepare, I cut the stalks off, then quarter the bulbs lengthwise. Remove the core from each quarter, then cut each quarter into slices. Toss all the slices with some olive oil, a bunch of chopped garlic, some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or so, at 400-425F. Stir it around often to ensure it browns evenly. Smells divine!

Once it's done, I pop it into the fridge and use it in different things throughout the week. My current favourite is a stir fry with fennel, red onion, garlic, swiss chard, this wonderful herbed tofu, and topped off with some feta cheese.

First I brown the tofu with the onions and garlic.


Then I add a bunch of the roasted fennel, followed by handfuls of chopped swiss chard.


Cook until the chard is wilted but still bright green. Remove from heat and toss with some feta cheese. Voila, dinner. Great on its own or with quinoa, rice or even pasta. Next time I might add some tomatoes.



Enjoy.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying this one! yum! It looks so good!

Glad to see you've updated your blog. I like to keep up on what you're doing.