Saturday, April 25, 2009

Greek Chicken

I'm on a bit of a Greek kick this week it seems. Tonight on the Egg, Greek Chicken- a whole chicken marinated in olive oil, fresh lemon juice, oregano, rosemary & thyme. Amazing. Simply amazing. Simple and amazing! Falling apart, but still juicy.....so good.

So, warning- raw chicken shot ahead...not something I usually do (I'm a bit squeamish), but you really have to see how it all starts. Right? I love these little chicken roasting racks- helps the bird roast evenly and there's the added benefit of being able to add some liquid, like wine or beer, to the drip pan to help the flavour along.

I like to use my Foodsaver to marinate things- it allows you to squish the marinade in good and close and keep it there. Removing most or all of the air, speeds up and intensifies the marinating process. I usually remove most of the air, then seal, allowing some room to toss the meat around in the bag. I let these guys marinate a full 24 hours, and lemon & herb flavour was really really nice. If you don't have a Foodsaver, a large Ziploc bag works well too.

Here's the marinade I used:

Greek Chicken (makes enough for 2 - 4lb chickens)

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tbsp fresh organo, chopped
4 lemons, juiced- approximately 1 cup of juice

Roast the chicken for 45 minutes at 375F, check to see if it's done. You may have to cook it for another 15-20 minutes- this isn't really an exact science! I pull it off when the chicken's leg is almost falling off when I 'shake' it. If you're using pieces, cooking for 15-20 minutes should do it.

While the chicken is roasting, make your salad and any other accompaniments....


Enjoy!

No comments: