Tuesday, August 28, 2007

One skillet dinner & a bowl of soup

Last night was an empty the fridge / use up the leftovers kind of dinner. On the weekend, I'd made these tasty pork chops and had one left over. I'd also steamed a bunch of new potatoes and had some of those. Sliced and browned up the pork chop and potatoes in a big skillet, added peppers & onions, threw in some steak spice and tossed it all together with lots of fresh chives. Served it with some peaches and cream corn on the cob.....dinner's done in 20 minutes. I love having lots of bits and pieces in the fridge, all available to make a fast and healthy dinner on a weeknight.




I think I've mentioned how much I love soup. I LOVE it. I love making it, smelling it, eating it. But it has to be good, and absolutely has to be homemade. There's just so much good stuff that you can fit in a bowl. My son, thankfully, takes afer me when it comes to food- he will eat anything. Now he loves soup too :) The other day I made our favourite broccoli soup. There was bowl left in the fridge and last night he had it as a pre-bedtime snack....how great is that???? I hope this lasts and he doesn't slide into being a picky eater......

Ethan's Broccoli Soup
This makes a big batch, around 12 servings. It freezes beautifully.


A splash of olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 heads of broccoli, cleaned and cut up into chunks and florets
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped small
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2 litres of chicken or vegetable broth
Milk
Salt & pepper
Tabasco sauce
Cheese for sprinkling (optional)


Saute the onions and garlic until soft.
Add broth, broccoli, potatoes and beans. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft, around 20-25 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Use a stick blender to puree the soup. Add milk to achieve desired consistency. For a more chunky consistency, only puree half the soup.
Add salt and freshly ground pepper (I like white pepper), and a few splashes of Tabasco to taste. The Tabasco isn't meant to add lots of heat, just to brighten the flavour.
Reheat for serving and sprinkle with cheese if desired.

No comments: